The Best Diesel Car in the world – according to Diesel Car Magazine – is the new Volkswagen Golf Mk 7 winning in their 2013 awards for the best diesel cars on sale today.
So when Diesel Car Magazine proclaims its winners each year it’s something car buyers are likely to take notice of next time they’re in the market for a new car, so it’s worth having a look at what came out on top.
The VW Golf Mk 7 TDI took the gong for the best diesel car of 2013 (as well as best Medium diesel car), snatching the award out of the hands of Land Rover”s Range Rover Evoque, which won in 2012 (and wins best crossover diesel this year).
Many of the cars that won an award have been on the list of winners before – like the Jaguar XF which is the best executive diesel for the fifth time and the Land Rover Discovery 4 which makes best diesel 4×4 for the fourth time – but there are new winners too with the Kia Cee’d Sportswagon winning best estate and the Ford B-Max grabbing the gong for best diesel MPV.
The full list of winners is below which will help if you’re in the market for a diesel, but before you use it as a default guide for your next new car, do look at the petrol alternatives; if you’re a private motorist, doing average mileage, a petrol engine is a much better bet.
The Best Diesel Car Awards 2013
Overall Winner: VW Golf Diesel
- Best Small Diesel | Ford Fiesta
- Best Medium Diesel | VW Golf
- Best Large Diesel | BMW 3 Series
- Best Executive Diesel | Jaguar XF
- Best Diesel Estate | Kia Cee’d Sportswagen
- Best Diesel MPV | Ford B-Max
- Best Diesel Crossover | Range Rover Evoque
- Best Diesel 4×4 | Land Rover Discovery 4
- Best Diesel Sports Car | Peugeot RCZ
- Best Eco Car | Renault Zoe